Preheat the oven to 325F and put muffin papers or silicone cups in 12 muffin cups.
- 1 four oz package of cream cheese (not low fat)
- 2 tablespoons of freshly grated orange peel
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
Beat together until creamy and well blended. Do not whip because you don’t want to incorporate air.
Red Velvet Cake
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa
- 4 tablespoons food grade red food color
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup whole milk buttermilk (do not get skim or low fat)
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white vinegar (it has less flavor than any other type)
1. Cream the butter and sugar until fluffy.
2. Add the egg and vanilla and beat well.
3. Use a rubber scraper to pull any remaining butter mixture off the sides and bottom of the mixing bowl. Mix again until well blended.
4. In a separate bowl mix the food color and the cocoa until it makes a paste.
5. Add the cocoa mixture to the butter mixture and mix until it is evenly blended. Spoon through to check for streaks.
6. Add 1/4 cup of the buttermilk and beat on low speed until blended.
7. Add half of the flour and blend.
8. Add the remaining buttermilk, blend and then add the remaining flour. Now stir in the baking soda and vinegar until blended.
1. Fill muffin cups about 3/4 the way with the red velvet batter.
2. Add a tablespoon or so of cheesecake batter to the top.
3. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until cupcakes are firm to the touch. Don’t over bake.
4. Cool completely.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 8 oz cream cheese
- Pinch of salt
1. Mix butter, salt, and confectioners sugar until crumbly.
2. Add the cream cheese and beat until creamy, add a little cream if you need to get the right consistency.
3. Swirl a good layer atop the cooled cupcakes.
4. Sprinkle with cocoa, edible glitter, or orange zest.
5. Keep any remaining cupcakes in the refrigerator.